Saturday, January 12, 2008

Movies, pictures, memories

Gladiator, on HBO last night. This is the first film I watched in university, in Beijing, 7 1/2 years ago. The same movie, a different me. The scene I walked into the screen room on the 4th floor of the library with my roommates was still etched in my mind. It’s weird. I have bad memory, but some ordinary moments in the past just linger there…

The past three years with a diary seems alive; is it the diary that makes it so, or it really is? But the 18 years in my hometown is dim, as if I had slept them away. All I can remember is the dingy classroom, mountains of books on the desks, clouds of chalk dust dancing in front of my eyes… Maybe I just don’t want to leave any space for that period – it was locked deep in my subconscious.

Then the four years in Beiwai is something I’d like to keep forever… Those memories are like pebbles on the beach, waiting to be collected. I’m so afraid they would be washed away by the tide of time.

Last month I found an album with pictures of me at school. Alas, I can barely remember my classmates’ names. Shattered memories…

No comments: