Saturday, August 2, 2008

August Rush

Beijing’s preparation for the Olympics is culminating. The capital looks great after the facelift, as though she were a bride dressed up for the wedding. She has impressive dowry: the bird’s nest, the water cube, T3 at the airport… ok, no more fanfares; we’ve had enough.

The Games is so influential that it has overshadowed everything and mobilized everybody. One thing I find interesting is the volunteers popped up recently. Every morning on my way to the office, I can see a boy in blue standing at the street corner, next to Sheraton hotel. He’s actually doing nothing, because there’s nothing for him to do. When I’m off work 9 hours later, he’s still there, looking like a scarecrow. I’m wondering what kind of punishment it is for this boy to stand under the sky blanketed with smog-or-cloud-we-don’t-know in such sultry weather for such a long day. What's the big deal?

No comments: